Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Night of the Unrest at the Aerie.

Bad night for sleeping.
  • Knee pains and back aches from the yard work I was doing yesterday.Caused me to do a lot of tossing and turning and twitching. Getting older is a bitch, but it beats the alternative.
  • Heavy downpours (but no T-storms) that rattled the trees and washed away a lot of the soil in that pile I have to sift yet. Looks like it's more stone than dirt now.
  • Wind rattling the bedroom door because the window was open.
  • A bird smacked into the window at 5 AM--the only window without a screen because that's where the air conditioner will go when we get back from Milwaukee next week. Rattled the window pretty good but there's no body on the ground.
  • And Terry snored. (She says I did too, but you never hear your own 'cause you're asleep.)
  • Then there's the chorus of bird calls at the same time. Loud and varied. If I didn't know some of the culprits, it wouldn't have been so bad, but laying there trying to both get back to sleep and identify the species doesn't work.
  • And, finally we come to the cats. I knew they were going to get their favorite for breakfast (Friskies Tuna & Egg), but how did they? And what's with the 5:45 wake-up call? Come on guys! You are going to sleep 80% of the day. At least let me have a couple hours during the night.

Just waiting to see if there's going to be anymore rain this morning and if the pile of dirt/stones will be dry enough to go through a 1/2" hardware cloth mesh. Clay tends to clump up something fierce when it's wet.

******
[UPDATE: The pile turned out to be 1/3 stone, 1/3 clay and 1/3 water. Not a good combination for sieving. Heck it stuck to the rake and shovel and I've got enough in the lugs of my boots to fill a 6" flower pot. I moved three wheelbarrows of this heavy mix just to get it out of the way. Then I called it quits.]

No comments: