Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Retired? Multitasking--again.

As I mentioned earlier, we arrived back home at the Aerie around 6:45 AM. First order of business was to unload the car. We managed one trip into the house before being gang tackled by three pussycats happy to see someone with opposable thumbs capable of opening the can of food. Doesn't matter that the person caring for them had been here the day before, they were s-t-a-r-v-i-n-g! (Okay, the dry food bowl in the basement was completely empty. I'll give them that.)

Once feed and distracted, we managed to get the rest of the stuff in from the Jeep without having a cat head out the door or trip us.

Then we sat down to check our emails and the weather. Since it was already 67 degrees at 7 AM, and not a cloud in the sky, we figured the forecast for HHH (Hazy, Hot, Humid) would be on the mark. It was. it eventually reached 92.8 degrees by 6 PM. So it became imperative that I install the window air conditioner ASAP, which I did. Window fans downstairs and ceiling fans are on high. They're not really helping, but that AC unit.... Eight-plus years old but it started right up. Priceless!

Terry grabbed a quick 40 winks--she says while the Sirius 50's on 5 was enjoyable to listen too, she couldn't sleep to the music she knows so well since she wants to sing along with every song. I went down and got the mail. Most of which was for her.

When I returned, I gassed up the mower and went to work on the lawn. That was a long process since there had been so much rain over the weekend (over 3 inches in the gauge) and the nights since I last cut it (Tuesday, one week ago) were perfect for growing grass. It was wet. It was thick. It was heavy. And it was getting hotter by the minute.

It took me many emptyings of the grass catcher, a second tank of gas, several glasses of cool water and a l-o-n-g time to get the job done, but done it got! And I only saw one largish garter snake. After cutting the grass, I got out the weed whacker and cleared around the raised beds where the mower couldn't get in tight.

After lunch, I started the laundry (Terry had gone out to do some errands and grocery shopping) and took a shower. I then balanced the checkbook, paid some bills and wrote a few posts--this being the last for the day unless something amazing happens as I am about dead on my feet (which are still vibrating).

Tomorrow is supposed to be another scorcher with highs again around that 90 degree mark. After that the weather gets back to closer to normal with highs in the 70-80 degree range and nights in the low to mid 50s.

I've got to restack some firewood that fell/was blown over during one of the weekend's storms. Then there are a couple of newly fallen trees along the trail leading west of the yard that need to be bucked into smaller units. Even if they are likely to be past the pale for firewood. Call it "forest beautification."

No comments: