Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Raining--Again/Still

First, today is Rick and Sandy's 2nd Anniversary. Wish they weren't all the way out there in Portland, OR. :-(

Good news is they will be with us in Milwaukee for Brian and Vicky's wedding over Memorial Day Weekend.

******

Not much happening here at the Aerie--except for fog and rain, that is. And, oh boy!, do we have fog and rain! It's been raining some since early Sunday morning and the forecasts say it will be raining off and on through at least NEXT Sunday. Oh, we may get a little sunshine, they say, on Thursday and maybe a little more on Saturday. But the rest of the time? Don't bet on it.

And it's been chilly, too. The high yesterday was only in the mid-50s. (AccuHunch says the average high for the 16th of May is 71.) The light breezes have kept things from feeling frigid but it's been really, really raw. At least things are supposed to warm up this weekend.

Needless to say, the rain has been excellent for the plants/shrubs Terry and I put in. Even the little burning bush I thought was dead has started to perk up. I guess they really mean it when they say it prefers slightly mucky soils. My carrots have finally broken ground and I wouldn't be surprised to see the beans and cucumbers pop up overnight. If those two get a little sunlight to warm the soil, they'll grow faster than the dandelions.

******

I could use a little of that sunshine. There's firewood to cut and some landscaping that needs to be done using the tractor. If I were to attempt the latter now, I'd likely tear up what little lawn I've got and leave inches deep ruts. Hopefully I can get out there soon.


No comments: