Thursday, December 15, 2005

Plump Penguins Parade

The Asahiyama Zoo has instituted an exercise program for their king penguin flock in an effort to keep them from gaining too much weight during the winter.
The zoo, on the northern island of Hokkaido, takes the penguins on strolls from December until April. The first walk of the season was Thursday.
Seems the penguins put on weight during the winter 'cause they are predisposed to just standing around in the cold.

I can empathize since I too put on some weight during the winter usually because of all the party food around the house and the inactivity of the season vis-a-vis football and college basketball on TV. No grass cutting, tree felling for firewood, or outdoor construction projects to keep me busy either. Like a bear, I tend to hibernate from December to March. Problem is, unlike a bear, I keep eating!

No comments: