Wednesday, February 22, 2006

More Stuff to Go; And Painting Too

We’ve been doing a lot of packing and tomorrow I make a long triangular trip to PA and then NY with boxes of stuff for storage and the cabin. It’s 230 miles to PA and then another 230 from the to the cabin in NY. In between I’ll be unloading about half the truck to put crystal and photos in the storage unit. If I get an early start in the morning, I could be at the cabin before sunset (around 5:40 PM tomorrow). I’ll stay over night and unload the remaining stuff on Friday morning.

In between filling boxes I’ve been painting. The dining room is finished and that was the most difficult room having three colors to deal with. There was the ceiling white (also used on the walls above the chair rail), a bright blue below the chair rail, and then the chair rail and the base molding in bright white. The downstairs hall got its ceiling painted, so it too is finished. I also painted the ceiling of our bedroom so it is done. Finally, I painted the ceiling in Terry’s downstairs sewing room and replacing a section of base molding we had taken out some years ago, finishing that room. While I was doing the painting, Terry has been packing up much of the glassware we had on display in the dining room hutch.

I have to say that I really, really hate painting white-on-white. You can never tell when you’ve covered an area when the base is the same color. If you’re lucky age has changed the shade of white (it gets grimy after many, many years) or the shade of white is just ever so slightly different from the base color and you can see where you’ve been applying the new paint. You can’t always count on the glistening of the wet paint. Sometimes it is so shiny that it blinds you to small areas where the roller may have left a partial gap—and that’s not going to be visible until the paint dries, usually after you’ve cleaned up for the day.

While I’m on my long run, Terry and Jessica will be taking more of Jess’ stuff to Grandma’s house on Thursday. Terry will then take a couple of boxes of computer stuff to the county recycling center for disposal.

When I get back home on Friday evening, it will be time to seriously work on my wood working shop. While this trip will take some of the scrap lumber and a few tools, there’re still a number of bench tools I can take out and more than a little wood for scroll saw projects I have planned.

No comments: