Friday, February 02, 2007

Phil Says: Winter will end early

We watched the live, internet broadcast of the whoop-de-doo that occurred on Gobblers’ Knob in Punxsutawney this morning. The traditional prognostication made by Punxsutawney Phil ended with his NOT seeing his shadow (something that would have been a miracle with the heavily overcast skies in western PA this AM) and, therefore, calling for an early end to winter.

As was noted however, this does not mean winter will end today or even next week, just that it will end early. It’s a good thing they included that caveat in their forecast, for this afternoon it began snowing again. Visibility is down to approximately half a mile and it doesn’t look to be letting up anytime soon.
Snow--again

At least it has warmed up a bit yesterday and today. Yesterday it got into the 30s and quite a bit of the snow on the ground melted. Today it is in the high 20s. Last week it was seldom above 20 but enough sunlight appeared to melt some snow on the roof and produce icicles.

icicles o2
I love icicles, as long as there are no gutters for them to weigh down and bend or break.
icicles 03

Now, when will this winter end. I've had enough.

1 comment:

GUYK said...

I know what you mean about winters..when I retired the first time I was in the Fairbanks Alaska area..60 below in the dark did nothing to improve my disposition. But it did convince me to retire to Florida to start my second career..

Thanks for coming by my place