Sunday, March 11, 2007

A plague of squirrels

I had to go outside this morning and chase about a dozen (could have been more) tree rats away from the feeders. They must have secret signposts out there in the woods directing all their kith and kin in my direction. I imagine whatever they have posted out there is like the secret marks hobos of the depression used to leave on fence posts and gates to let those who found them know that a meal was to be had for a little work or to stay away. I think these marks must say something about easy pickings.

Anyway, I go outside and it's like a mad rush to see who can get to the trees a hundred yards distant. I can see a few perched on the branches of nearer trees but they too hightail it when I stand on the deck long enough. When I think they are gone, I go back inside, hang up my coat and turn around to see three or four at the feeders already.

Bow hunting deer season in NJ overlaps with the squirrel season. I spent many a morning sitting in a tree stand waiting for a deer to stroll by only to be pestered by a half dozen or so squirrels shuffling about in the dry leaves of the forest floor. Around eleven o'clock I would go back to the truck and switch from bow gear to shotgun and safety orange and head back to shoot some squirrels. Of course they would all disappear for their mid-day siesta. At three I'd be back in the tree stand with my bow and the damn squirrels would be back looking for acorns. *sigh*

I'm kind of hoping one or more of the red-tail hawks on the hillside get the message that they need to come down to the feeders to pick up a meal.

2 comments:

GUYK said...

The damn treerats dug up and ate all my pole bean seed..I planted tghe beans a couple of weeks ago and wuz wondering why I had not seen a sprout one..no seeds is why. They also dug up and carried off about four dozen or more gladiolus bulbs..I give up..I am just gonna fatten them up for the pot.

Gun Trash said...

In my experience, the only non-lethal thing that works. True, not as satisfying as a Ruger 10/22 or .177 Diana air rifle, but it works.