Sunday, June 10, 2007

Best laid plans

Well, I was supposed to be heading up to the Bolt Hole at this hour, but…. The truck’s electrical system has been acting a bit strange lately.

Four weeks ago, while out for a Thursday morning bird walk, Gary and I got caught in the rain. We opted to sit it out in the truck and I periodically turned the wipers on to look out. Eventually the battery died. Gary jumped me with his truck and I drove back to the house without a hitch. It was a thirty-forty minute drive and the battery charged nicely, thank you. The truck has been working well since then including several short trips to Wellsboro and one long trip up to the Bolt Hole and back (500 miles).

Until today. This morning I drove down to get the papers and do a little shopping at Wally-World. The truck ran fine and started right up at home and in the parking lot. Then I stopped to fill the gas tank. Once filled, the truck would not start. All I got was a horrible clicking sound which could be starter, could be alternator, or could be battery. I got a jump start from another gas customer and drove home.

It was only a short drive so, while the battery did charge slightly, it did not have enough juice to start the truck once I was in the driveway. I hooked the battery charger up and in a few hours had a full charge. My charger can also test the alternator. That said there was a fault and the alternator might be in need of service.

Now, I would have driven up to the Bolt Hole (250 miles) with little concern IF I didn’t know about the alternator. In fact I contemplated doing just that and getting a new battery at the Wal-Mart up there. But, I have had a vehicle’s alternator fail on me before while driving to the Bolt Hole. It is not an experience I wish to repeat. Plus, Thursday night four of us are driving to Quebec to go fishing. That’s a long haul in the middle of the night and 100 mile of secluded dirt road at the end. I do NOT want to have the truck die along the way.

So, I’ll be getting up early tomorrow to call the local mechanic (the same one who just did the oil change and the fuel and air filter changes on Friday) to see if he can squeeze me in to have a look-see at the alternator.

[I should mention that the truck is a 2000 Silverado with nearly 150,000 miles. Both the battery and the alternator are originals. It's not surprising that they should begin to show their age--but the timing is damned inconvenient.]

No comments: