Friday, September 14, 2007

From the Bolt Hole to the Aerie and back.

Well, the trip from the Bolt Hole to the Aerie and back went without a problem. (I almost said "hitch" but that would have made hauling the trailer difficult!) It's amazing how much of a hit my gas mileage takes when dragging that 27-foot trailer around.

When we got to the Aerie on Wednesday afternoon I had no difficulty backing the trailer into the slightly winding 200-foot long driveway to park it in the front of our home. But to get out on Thursday morning to take it for inspection required I head up the hill (instead of down where I really wanted to go) until I got to the T at the top. Then I backed the trailer up and made one very long K-turn to go down the hill to head for Mansfield.

As expected, the inspection itself took about 15 minutes and then I was on my way back to the Bolt Hole in the Adirondacks. This time I was traveling solo as I intend to stay here for a week or so.

Backing the trailer into the Bolt Hole yard and the barn by myself went awfully easy compared to previous attempts. The barn is offset from the gate and the yard in front is just open enough that I can get the truck and tailer almost lined up once I snake my way through the gate--backwards. It must be the practice I've been getting. My Dad used to drive semis and then busses. We also trailered a 16-foot boat and I cut my teeth on backing that thing up to the launch ramp and into the driveway. Dad taught me a few tricks but the most important one was to keep your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and not the top. With you hand on the bottom, the back of the trailer goes where your hand goes. If you want the trailer to go to the left, your hand goes to the left. If your hand is on the top of the wheel, all your movements are the opposite of what you think they should be. And that is when you get into trouble because you have to think too much.

Early bear season starts tomorrow and it will afford a chance to 1) bag a bear on last year's license and 2) scout the woods for deer season. With all the storm damage from the mesocyclone that hit on August 24th, the scouting might be the most important part. Trails we had followed last year and the year before are blocked and landmark trees are either obscured or knocked over. When I think of all the lumberjack work Mark and I put in this summer to down trees for firewood.... Ma nature did it in minutes.

I know there are several bear wandering the Bolt Hole land and the state land adjacent to it. I've seen them. But Terry called last night to say that 15 minutes after she pulled the bird feeders a young black bear showed up in the yard to check the water in the bird bath and scrounge any fallen seed. Unfortunately, PA bear season doesn't happen until mid-November.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey! your dad was a pretty smart fella! i just backed up a trailor in my head and i'll be damned! it worked!!