Saturday, June 14, 2008

"Back up, back up, back up!"

I mentioned a short time ago that I had a hard drive crash on my PowerBook G4 and seemingly lost years of personal photographs and journal entries. I was stupid enough not to have created a back up of those photos and documents on CDs or a portable hard drive. With the cost of portable hard drives and memory sticks/cards constantly dropping, there was no excuse for not having done so.

I purchased a new hard drive for the G4 and had it installed but held on to the old one for nearly a year before I finally decided upon a company to handle the data recovery. Then I bit the bullet and contacted the folks at ECO Data Recovery. I was impressed with the previous clients (NASA, GE and my own bank, Fist Citizens National) and thought they should be able to help little old me.

Within two weeks of their receiving my 80GB hard drive they were shipping it back to me along with an 80 gig portable hard drive containing all the data they were able to retrieve including my iPhoto file with several years of photographs and my documents folder with all my journal entries.

It wasn’t cheap but it was quickly and professionally handled. Now I need to spend some time burning some back-up CDs and deciding what files on that portable HD I can dispense with. You can be sure that backing up my photos and documents will become a monthly task. I've learned my lesson the hard way and "Back up, back up, back up" will become my mantra.

If you ever have a similar problem and need to have your HD data retrieved due to an accident to your computer or simple mechanical failure of your HD components, I would whole heartedly recommend ECO Data Recovery.

No comments: