Sunday, February 22, 2009

Woodworking 103

I started another one of my projects today. It's to be a quilt-like piece made out of wood. The wood used will be red oak and walnut. Strictly speaking it is not an intarsia piece but it does require many of the techniques involved. There will be many little pieces glued upon a backboard of birch plywood. These pieces, however are more geometric in shape: diamonds and triangles mostly. They will require lots of straight cuts that I can do on the table saw now that I've put a finishing blade on it.

I've got plans and wood for both of these projects (I think the one on the bottom is the one I started):




I ripped several pieces of 1/4 inch think oak and walnut into 7/8 inch wide strips as well as cutting a few other strips ranging in width up to 1-11/16 inches. That's as far as I go today because the next step involved using a 1/8 inch rounding over bit on the router table. That's when I discovered I lacked a particular bit. So tomorrow I'll be heading to Arnot's down in Mansfield to stimulate the economy a little.

The plans and wood came from here...or maybe it was here. They share warehouses so I don't think it matters too much from which I got my materials.

3 comments:

Richard said...

Well, as they say "That should keep you out of the bars".

Cassie said...

What will you do with this when it's done? Incorporate it into your floor? Use it as a table top? Just curious.

Shelley said...

LOL at Richard's comment! This will be a nice project.