Monday, June 01, 2009

SNAFU

When we returned from our trip out west last week, I called the dealership to get the Tundra a servicing. It was "only" 5K miles past due. I also tried to explain about the missing molding at the top of the windshield; blown off by the Wyoming winds. The service manager wasn't sure about what part I was in need of and said they would look it over when I brought the truck in for service.

That was early last week. When they saw what was missing, they looked in their parts catalog and, lo and behold, the part was not listed. Seems it needs replacing so infrequently they don't even list the thing. Okay, I can dig that. Might even speak of the Tundra's reliability or something. So they called California and got a part ordered.

Today I was supposed to get that molding installed. I drove over to the dealers (about an hour from here) and handed over the keys. They spent 30-40 minutes cleaning off the residue from the duct tape I had been using to ensure no water got into the gaping crack and discovered that the folks in California had sent them the wrong part. Now, understand, these were the folks who designed the truck. *sigh* A wasted afternoon.

When I left, after spending a total of two hours in the waiting room, the parts manager was still on the phone trying to get the correct part ordered. IF they get one ordered, it should be here in a day or two. (FedEx overnight is wonderful!) Then it will be one more trip over to get the molding installed.

It's about a 45 mile trip...one way. At least they didn't charge me for today's visit, but I wish they would pay me for my gas. I figure I'm burning up around 5-6 gallons each time and current prices are $2.60 per for regular. Then there's the greenhouse gases...actually, forget about that part of the equation. With the weather we've been having we could use a little warming.

3 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

"Service" like that really makes you wonder about the manufacturers who are losing money.

GUYK said...

Service departments give a dealership a bad name! I refuse to ever go back to the local Dodge dealer for service...in fact I hope the sumbitch is one that gets shut down...have not heard yet. I have been jerked around by them calling me in for a recall and then not having the part...two times in three days. I have had appointments for an oil change and had to wait two hours for them to get to it...from now on it is jiffy lube and the local independent technician..

joated said...

I actually like the guys at the service department.

I've no idea why their parts catalog doesn't have the windshield molding listed. They seemed just as frustrated as I was. This is for a truck designed to go off road for cripes sake! Cracked and broken windshield that need replacement should be the least of repairs.