Friday, January 08, 2010

Aerie Report, January 8, 2010

The very light powdery snow that fell all night and throughout this morning let up around 1 PM. Heck, even the sun made a (very) brief appearance. I thought it was done so I donned my boots, gloves and coat and went out to clear the driveway.

I was disappointed to find there was a mere 4 inches on the ground. Thinking that might not make the use of the blower worthwhile, I started with the shovel and cleared half the area in front of the garage in a little less than an hour.

Not long after I started the sun disappeared and a pretty serious snow squall hit. It didn't last long but it gave me an excuse to take a break and ponder my options further.

The squall stopped after 15 minutes and I started the snow thrower. heck, after the plow had gone up the road, I knew some deeper snow was ahead of me. So I wrestled the thrower over the second half of the area in front of the garage, the driveway and the plow-made drift. It took me about an hour. I saved about 30 minutes...maybe.

While I did the drive, Terry did the deck and replenished the bird feeders much to the delight of the juncos, chickadees, nuthatches. etc.

When I finished, Terry produced a cup of welcome hot chocolate and I sat down to the computer. As I type this, it has commenced snowing again. Checking the weather.com radar that damn blue bubble is parked right overhead...again. *sigh*

If this keeps up there may be enough snow on the ground to get out the snowshoes.


3 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

I keep telling you guys to send the snow back up here; don't know what the problem is...

I'm still having trouble convincing my girls to shovel the driveway in the middle of a snowstorm. They haven't grasped the "two easy jobs beat one really hard one" concept, yet.

Cassie said...

Ahhh I miss the snow. Hot coco never tastes as good as after doing some heavy duty shoveling!

joated said...

Rev.
That nasty Jet Stream keeps sending it either south or east of here. I see now that Disney World may get some flurries.

Cassie
We have a guest bedroom and a spare shovel you're welcome to use. Plenty of coco too.