Monday, August 29, 2005

Company in the North

We have had a doe and her two fawns (they still had spots but were pretty big) walk across the lawn each of the last two mornings. The doe seemed a little nervous about being in the open but her youngsters had no such qualms. Both days the came out of the north, crossed the open grass and entered the hedgerow along the road at the old apple tree where there is a break in the wooden fence. We did see a deer later on Saturday across the street under the big apple tree there and it may have been one of the three. I couldn't see any spots but the weeds were high.

Cantalope rinds and corn cobs that I have put out back Saturday and sunday have disappeared but the apples I had right next to them weren't touched.

I found one area in the backyard and two spots in the field across the street where foxes have been doing their thing. (Lots of scat in those spots.) At least they aren't using the garage anymore!

I also came upon two yellow jacket nests in the yard as I was cutting the grass on Saturday. One is right next to the front door and the other is a few steps away from the back door. I waited until Sunday night and hit them both with some citronella oil and a little flame and then, Monday morning I sprayed them with some chemicals. The nest near the front door seems to have had it although a few bees kept showing up all afternoon. The other was more protected I guess, there was quite a bit of activity there today. Guess I will have to be careful and come more fully armed next ime.

No comments: