Saturday, August 20, 2005

Rain and More Rain

We have been enjoying a couple of days of rain that were slightly unexpected. On Wednesday, none of the forecasts predicted much in the way of rain through the weekend. Thursday's predications called for a 60% chance of showers Friday morning but clearing in the afternoon. Of course it rained off and on all day Friday, Friday night and is still showering Saturday morning. And now even more rain is forecast for Sunday.

The rain has impacted what I can do outside. I wanted to rent a roto-tiller to loosen the soil in the backyard. It has been baked hard by this summer's hot and dry conditions--so hard that a hand rake just bounces off the surface and I used a broom to sweep up the acorns that have fallen. (I got three wheelbarrows full.) A roto-tiller will allow me to sow some more grass seed. Guess I will have to wait until Monday.

It is good to get the rain, however. The forsythia have looked parched and, while I've been watering the tomatoes and peppers with a bucket, every afternoon they look like they have completely wilted.

No comments: