Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Yard Work, Part Four

I finished the sowing of the grass seed in the backyard today. Rolled the yard, raked out the high spots, rolled it again, used the leaf rake to scratch the surface, spread the seed, raked the seed in using the back of the leaf rake, rolled the seed into the soil, spread some salt hay on the sunnier portions of the lawn and finally watered. It took me from 9:30 AM until 2:30 PM to complete the work. Now it's a matter of time, water and lots of prayer! With any luck the seed will germinate in a week and I may have to think about cutting it when we get back from Atlanta and SC.

I nearly needed a hard hat while I worked as the oaks were dropping some truly humongous acorns. The largest were over an inch in diameter and could have easily left dents in a car--or my head.

Some samples of the "bombs" dropped by the oaks and their accomplices, the squirrels.

Acorn

No comments: