Thursday, November 15, 2007

National Ammo Day is
right around the corner

November 19th is National Ammo Day. I may have to go out and buy a couple boxes for the Super Redhawk. I haven’t had it out to fire in a couple of years what with having damn few places in NJ to pull out that six-shooting bad boy and then being in transition with everything in storage at the Bolt Hole in NY the nanny-state where I was technically not supposed to have it at all. Yeah, a couple boxes of .44 Magnum (just so I can work on strengthening my wrist) and then I’ll have to find myself a place to go shoot.

(I’m going to have to get something lighter to plink with or maybe for personal defense—maybe both. I might even see about getting a carry permit. Maybe in April when buy a gun day rolls around.

No need to purchase any rifle ammunition. Only fired once so far this season and twice last year. Didn’t even get to use the bench rest for practice this summer so I’ve got scads of .270 and .30-.30 ammo. I did buy more sabotted bullets and powder for the muzzle loader this fall but didn’t see a damn deer during the entire week. Ergo I only had to make one “shot” when I dumped my load. (That sounds kinda scatological, doesn’t it?)

One thing I will have to get before spring is a couple of dozen arrows. Over the years, practice with the bow (which I do do or I won’t go hunting with it) has taken its toll in bent shafts from hitting one arrow against one already in the target and the occasional flyer that hits the backstop. I’ve only split one arrow Robin Hood style but have damaged two or three knocks in the last three years. Right now, I’ve got about a dozen arrows with mismatched fletching and it plays havoc with my groupings. I wonder, do arrows count as “ammo”?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We've Colts and S&W revolvers but no Rugers. Not that we have anything against Rugers, we just don't have any. So I clicked that Super Redhawk link and got a chuckle of out it, especially after looking at the picture.

"A massive, high strength interface between barrel and frame"

They ain't whistling Dixie there, are they?

Whewee, that's one chunk of metal where the barrel mates the body. But, Bill Ruger built dependable, no-fail firearms, for sure!

Actually, I had a chance at a Ruger .357 for $150 (don't remember the model, but do recall it was stainless). The young TSgt had carried it in Alaska when he went fishing. Had only put 2 boxes of shells through it. I declined the offer for some reason.

Then I thought about thate evening and the next day at work asked him if is was still for sale. No such luck, he had sold it to a co-worker for $125.

Groan...

Another one of those missed opportunities that you kick yourself in the derriere for. :-\

A.G.T.