Friday, November 09, 2007

Up north again

I drove up to the Bolt Hole this evening in the hope of taking advantage of the small snowfall that occurred here earlier this week to locate one of the several bucks that are roaming around the area.

When I left the Aerie the weather gurus were saying that there was some flurries and possible even ice along the route I take. They were right on the flurries but the temperatures climbed above the freezing mark as I passed through Elmira and Ithaca along Route 13 and nothing was sticking to or freezing on the roads. In fact, the temperature in Ithaca was 47 degrees and it was still around 44 when I passed Syracuse. I began to worry that all the snow might have melted. I guess the large bodies of water (Cayuga Lake and Lake Ontario) near those two towns helped to moderate the temps. As I left the NY Thruway, the temps started to fall again and when I got to the Bolt Hole it was a nice 32 degrees with flurries falling at 8:30 PM and a couple of inches of snow still on the ground.

As I write (10:30 PM) the flurries are still falling. They are very, very light but still could amount to something overnight. Or at least I hope they do. Fresh snow on the ground will mean any tracks I locate will be new ones and they are far more productive to follow than something that might be a day or so old.

No comments: