Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Traveling Music

When I purchased the Aveo for Terry I noticed the audio system no longer included a tape cassette player. When we got the Tundra, we again lost a cassette player. Now, I realize there are fewer and fewer tape cassettes being sold in music stores these days. I know this even though I haven’t been in a music store for a bit. Not because I’ve been downloading music or anything. I just got tired of dropping a C-note every time I walked into a Sam Goody’s. Even before I managed to keep out of the music stores, the tape displays were making way for more and more CDs. That’s even true at the local WalMart. But I’ve got probably close to two hundred or more cassettes. And I almost never listen to them anywhere but in the car. What to do?

While I had Jessica here (she's going to bug out tomorrow to avoid any ice on Friday), I got a quick tutorial on converting music tapes into MP3 files using Garage Band on my MAC PowerBook. Later I’ll burn some of those MP3 files onto CDs so I can play them in the truck. I spent most of the afternoon recording four ZZ Top’s tapes. Next up will be some Tractors and Bruce Hornsby.

Maybe, when I get done I’ll take the cassettes down to the local 2nd Hand Shop and see if I can get anything for them. Right now he’s got a pretty pathetic selection of tapes there from artists (?) of whom you’ve never heard.

No comments: