Friday, July 04, 2008

About those groundhogs...

My shootin' might have been better than I originally thought.

We've had no grazers since I popped and dropped the one in its tracks. That could mean that the two I shot at just prior to that (the ones I though I missed because the scope was off) may have been able to get off into the tall weeds and maybe even into their den but they could have suffered mortal wounds. Since groundhogs are pests and not food or game animals, I didn't follow up on my "missed" shots the way I would for deer, bear, or even squirrel: no search for blood droplets, no circle search from where last seen, etc.

There are lots of "maybes" and "could haves" in that previous paragraph, however evidence (or lack of sightings) seems to be pointing to a successful eradication of the local groundhog population, however.

3 comments:

Richard said...

Watch it...PETA is gonna get you...lol.

Joan of Argghh! said...

Damn, joated! It must rock to be your neighbor; I think just knowing I had a crack shot next door would ease my mind a bit.

joated said...

Thanks Joan, but I like my neighbors the way they are...1/4-1/2 mile away.
;-)

(The other side is...well, I haven't got any! Nothing but forest to the east of the Bolt Hole or south of the Aerie. One's the Adirondack Park and the other is TIoga State Forest. Get's real quiet sometimes.)