Friday, July 11, 2008

Brrrr!

The sky was crystal clear last night as the sun set so you knew the night time temperature was going to drop like a stone and it did. This morning it was a mere 48 degrees on the thermometers attached to the side of the house when I rolled out of bed at 7 AM. These are the cheap spring type of thermometers and they do pick up some of the heat of the structure (not that here was much to pick up after yesterday's high of 65). If I were up here for a longer time, I might invest in the same sort of thermometer I've got at the Aerie: the digital remote sensor that can be mounted up to 100 feet from the house. Put in the shade somewhere so it picks up the real air temperature and I might never want to get out from under the covers.

Just checked the radar (showers to the west heading this way and then scattered T-storms this afternoon) and the nearest Weather underground station (a farm 5 miles or so to the west at 1200 feet elevation opposed to the Bolt Hole's 16-1700 feet). The WU guy's station is out under some big maples in his farmyard. His temperature reading is usually a few degrees warmer in the winter and his low over night was also 48 degrees so maybe the real temp at the Bolt Hole was a shade below that. (The only accurate thermometer I've got is the one in the Tundra and I'm not going to turn the key just to see what the temperature is.) Summer temps are tough to adjust for our different elevations. Cool air tends to sink and sometimes the valleys are colder over night than the hillsides. We see this happen at the Aerie often.

I'm going to have a second cup of coffee (for the warmth!) and wait a bit before breaking out the brush hog. The brush was soaking wet yesterday morning and, as a result, I got wet. Don't need to get caught in an actual shower while I'm working. If it rains too hard and the brush is too wet, I'll move into the woods and block up some of the blow downs into firewood lengths.

No comments: