Monday, July 28, 2008

Aerie Game Cam Report

So, I go out before lunch this morning to rebait the game camera, switch out the memory card and pick some raspberries on my way back.

I get to the camera and the LCD screen that indicates its status is blank--not a good sign. I crack open the case and reach to pull the memory card when I realize I don't have a replacement in my pocket--DOH!

I change the 6V battery and return the used memory card to it's place knowing I will have to return later to replace it. I dump the bait in the target area (all the bai from two days ago is gone) and then turn the camera on. It seems to be working fine.

On my way back to the house, I stop and pick a cup of mixed raspberries and blackberries to be made into sauce for ice cream.

Back at the house I have lunch and then put a memory card in my pocket and head back up the hill to retrieve the one in the camera.

I'm about 50 yards from the camera on our second driveway when I hear a deer bound away down the hill on the other side of the camera. I figure that someone else was enjoying lunch at the same time I was.

With the card back at the house and in the computer I learn that 1) the camera did not function between Saturday and today (I'm not surprised--remember the blank screen?) and 2) it worked fine between the time I switched the battery and the time I got there to switch the card and, yes, there was a deer there for lunch.

DGC_0004

This doe had arrived not long after I left and stayed around for half an hour. It was she that spooked when I came back for the memory card. In this shot she is looking up the hill toward the driveway I was on. Notice the upright ears also focused in my direction. A few minutes later and she was gone.

I never did see her but she made lots of noise goinog down the hill.

No comments: