Saturday, July 12, 2008

The Chore Report from the Bolt Hole

I spent seven hours out in the woods today and didn't fire up the chainsaw once. There are 8 to 10 fairly large red maples that cot blown over in the storm last August but every one of them pulled up enough soil and maintained contact with the ground enough that they all sprouted leaves this year. As I said earlier, with the amount of split, seasoned firewood stacked in the yard there is no sense to cutting up living trees at the moment. They can wait until next year.

Instead, I worked with the loppers--a long handled pair with a cam that makes cutting something as thick as 2 inches possible. I sought out all the dead branches that were sticking up as well as those leaning against or hanging from trees and brought them all to the ground where they will be out of sight during the hunting season and where they can rot peacefully back into the duff. I didn't do ALL of the woods but picked three areas with lots of dead branches/trees and did areas ranging from 50 to 100 yards square (that's a square 50 to 100 yards on a side). It's not exactly lifting weights but my arm, chest and back muscles got quite a workout.

I started at 8 AM and took a half hour break for lunch before going back out to do more. I quit at 4 PM so I could sit and watch the Mets game on Fox. And thought about doing more when the game was over but fatigue settled in as I sat through the game and I called it fini for the day.

Speaking of the Mets. Holy Cow! as Phil Rizzuto would say. Although Pedro Martinez only threw 4 innings before succumbing to a strained groin/shoulder/whatever, the Bullpen came through again. Pedro gave up one hit, Carlos Muniz, Aron Heilman and Billy Wagner gave up none. Muniz got the win after pitching 2 hitless, scoreless innings in the 3-0 Mets victory. He is the third reliever in a row to earn the victory. In the last five games the Mets have allowed just 13 hits and 4 runs and the Bullpen has given up none of the runs in 18 1/3 innings of relief. Now that's worth a ton of Rolaids right there.

The Mets, by virtue of having an 8 game win streak, are now just 1/2 game behind the Phillies and have one more game against the Rockies tomorrow before the All Star break.

Looking at the weather forecasts for tomorrow, I believe I'll be packing up early and heading back to the Arie. There's a 60% chance of rain during the day and then 80% at night according to weather.com.

Right now, I'm in need of a cool shower and then to bed, so adios, amigos. Vaya con Dios.

1 comment: