Monday, July 07, 2008

Heading north today

I'll be heading up to the Bolt Hole this morning for a week or so of anything but R & R. There's some work in the yard and woods that needs to get done up there.

My DR Field and Brush mower is finished and ready for pick up from the repair shop where only routine maintenance was required. Seems, according to the repairman, those older engines were much more forgiving than some of the newer models and the carburetor only needed to be flushed and not rebuilt so the cost of the TLC care will be more than reasonable. Sharper blade, new belts, new plug, new air filter, oil change, a tune-up...I'm ready to rock! Some of our cleanup of the apple orchard (neglected for too many years) needs to have the short stubs of brush chopped off so the grasses can return as they have in some areas. Parts are starting to look down right park-like. I'll have to post some photos of what I mean.

The lawn mower is also working and I can use the walking cutting approximately 2 acres will require. I just hope the black flies are done and the dragonflies are out to round up the deer flies. I love the aerial displays when there are dozens of dragon flies flitting about.

The chainsaw is working and I've got a couple of sharpened chains. There are several blowdowns waiting to be trimmed and cut into lengths. I like a neat woods with some open views for the hunting season and these blowdowns make for visual obstructions even if they can be useful in funneling deer in certain directions. We don't really need the firewood as there's plenty split and stacked from last summer but I also don't want it to go to rot out in the woods.

The AV is working, too, so hauling the wood out of the woods and general clean-up of brush and such shouldn't be too arduous if I simply remember to take it slow and drink lots of water. (The beer can wait until after I'm done.)

Of course, the weather could play a factor in how much I get done as the accu-hunch (thanks to Rev. Paul for that sobriquet) says the temps will be a little above normal for a few days (upper 80s) and thunderstorms are a possibility every afternoon this week. With no AC it'll be darn uncomfortable and unlike the Aerie, moving to the cool of the basement is not an option. (Too many spiders and cobwebs plus a dirt floor and about a 5 1/2 foot head space make the Bolt Hole basement uncomfortable in other ways.) Well, I can always hit the streams for some wading and some trout as long as I keep my eyes peeled for the bears--especially mama and her twins.

Now being up north means dial-up service so don't get too worried if your site meter readings drop.

1 comment:

Rev. Paul said...

Sounds like you've got your work all lined up, but take it easy out there.

The comment about the bear reminds me ... we had the first ever bear-mauling inside the city limits, just about 10 days ago. A teenager was biking along a stream in one of the city parks, and mama bear decided the girl was poaching her salmon. If the biker hadn't been wearing a helmet, she might be dead now, instead of merely in critical condition.

You be careful, hear?