Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Aerie Report, November 4, 2009

Twas a chilly, chilly morning here at the Aerie. Crisp white frost coated all surfaces as the temperature dipped to 28 degrees. But then the sun came out and things warmed nicely--all the way up to 45 degrees late his afternoon. (See, that's how things work. When the sun doesn't shine things get cool. When the sun pops out, they warm up. Works that way in the long term, too. So don't hand me any of this AGW stuff. 'Kay?)

They say we may get a few light snow showers late tonight, but they won't amount to anything. Then it will be fair in the morning but even more likely rain and snow showers will arrive late in the day into tomorrow night. We'll see.

******

Spent another morning at the therapist's giving my knee a thorough workout. It's feeling real, really good right now. I'm even able to go up and down the steps almost like a real person. None of this one-step-at-a-time stuff.

In fact, I felt so good after my session today, I went out after lunch and raked the leaves from the yard. As we get closer to the first snowfall that may actually stay around until April, it became a priority to get the leaves off the lawn. Except for the heavy frost this morning it's been relatively dry the last two days and this afternoon the wind was virtually calm. The lack of moisture and calm winds meant that conditions were excellent for raking and hauling leaves.

It's another one of those mindless tasks like pushing a lawn mower or a broom, that lends itself to contemplative pursuits. Today I merely thought of what i was doing and how to lessen the impact on my knee and lower back. Funny, the back has stated to hurt more than the knee the last few days. Probably due to the way I've been walking on eggshells as I favor the left leg. Or the seats I've been plopping myself into to work on the computer and watch sports on TV. (I confess! I slouch in my seat something fierce even though I know it's bad for my back.)

The task of moving leaves took me 2 1/2 hours today. Normally I would have been finished in one--maybe one and a half. But I was not going to rush anything. Besides, I had nothing else to do.


No comments: