Thursday, November 05, 2009

Some Guys are Born Lucky

I got an email from my son, Rick, in Portland telling me of the hunting adventures of his co-worker...

So my Co-worker Tim (He's my mentor I spend a lot of time in the truck with him) is a bow hunter, and a smoker. A menthol light smoker. He's had a number of deer over the years but he's never shot an elk. The General Manager, Ray, would constantly make fun of Tim calling him a butt-hacker and telling Tim that he would never get an elk, they will be able to smell him from miles away.

During elk season Tim took a week off and went with his buddies into the cascades. They set up camp in the corner of a farm and planned on mountain biking down the closed logging roads to were they would hunt. When they set up camp the farmer pointed across the road to a little creak and said, "You should try over there. I see elk over there all the time."

Tim and his buddies proceed to spend the next few days biking miles out of camp into the mountains in their search for elk. Nothing. On the fourth or so day they were all exhausted of hunting (and biking) and decided to have a camp day.

So there they were playing cards and drinking beer. All. Day. Long. When they heard a noise from across the road.

"I'm gonna go check that out" says Tim, grabbed his bow and meandered nosily to the other side of the road.

And lo and behold he came back 15 minutes later and told his crew he was going to need help. Tim got his first cow elk. At camp. With a bow. While drunk. Right were the farmer said to look.

Rick


What can you say. Sometimes the critters around a farm are really, really stupid.

3 comments:

threecollie said...

Ha, I laughed right out loud at that one. Many moons ago I knew a hunter....actually I was married to him for a while...who undertook long, painful hunting expeditions every weekend in pursuit of the wily whitetail.
I kept telling him that I was seeing a big buck behind the house when I was out riding my horse.
and he kept driving hundreds of miles every Saturday. Finally just to shut me up he went out behind the house. You can guess the rest...a nice 8-point. lol

Rev. Paul said...

After following deer tracks and sign all over a 160-acre farm, my bro-in-law holed up in the tool shed during a hard rain. He was looking out the window when an 8-point buck wandered into his field of view; he shot it from the window, while sitting on a kitchen chair.

Like you said, born lucky.

joated said...

Several years ago during the PA gun season, one buddy Nick, retruend to his house after a futile morning. He was on the phone to another buddy, Joe, who was in NJ. The question of "How did you do?" came up just as Nick looked out the window and saw a buck across the field. He answered, "Hold on a second", and set the phone on the counter. Joe heard the screen door open and then a loud "BANG". Nick got back on the phone and said, "I got one."