Friday, November 13, 2009

A Long Way to Go
(and a short time to get there)

As Rev. Paul says, the 300 mile round trip to Cabela's IS a long way to go to do some shopping. But what are you going to do when the discount cards can only be used in store? If it was up to me, I'd let UPS do the driving but....

I got to thinking this morning about that 300 miles and try to put it in comparison with other silly things I've done. To wit:

I would, when I was still working, on occasion drive the 250 miles from NJ to the Bolt Hole, cut the grass (a 2-3 hour job) and then drive back to NJ all in one day. A 500-mile round trip with 2-3 hours of pushing a mower in between.

When we traveled to Colorado Springs with the travel trailer, Terry and I would do make the 2250 mile trip in four days. That's a lot of hauling!

It took us just two and a half days to get to Spokane, WA when Rick returned from his tour of duty in Iraq.

Going out to Eugene, OR for Rick and Sandy's wedding, we made the trip (sans trailer) in just three days.

Terry and I once drove nonstop from the Denver area to NJ when we decided we had had enough vacation. That was 36 hours straight. (We did stop at the original Cabela's in Sidney, NE for a couple of hours, though.)

When we go fishing in Quebec, we leave the Bolt Hole around 9 PM, drive until sunrise, rest an hour or two and then drive another two hours on the "good" dirt road to get to the float plane launch site. Then reverse the process when the trip is over.

What can I say? I enjoy driving.

Looking over the itinerary for the Good Sam's Club Caraventure this summer, Not one day (after we leave Dawson Creek with the caravan) is more than 200-220 miles. It's going to seem like a real vacation! Of course, getting TO Dawson Creek and then back to the Bolt Hole may be another story.

Now all we have to do is find someone to babysit the three cats. They get car sick after just 5 minutes.

He's heading in the wrong direction but the idea is sound:


And, although I can't play a lick, this is one of my favorite traveling songs:



1 comment:

Rev. Paul said...

I bought a 1968 Dodge SuperBee in 1978, when Smokey & the Bandit was released. I immediately recorded the soundtrack & played it in the Bee. I'm a little ashamed to admit that I'd go faster (okay, a LOT faster) whenever "Eastbound & Down" came on.

I miss that car(sighs) but traveling is still one of my favorite things. Most times, I regret arriving at the destination; it's the moving that I enjoy.