Sunday, November 29, 2009

PA Deer Season

Monday is the opening of the firearms deer season here in PA. Local schools are closed in this clinger territory and all the hunting camps are filled. So, of course, the weather is iffy at sunrise. A little rain, a little snow. I'll be out early anyway. If need be I'll be out until after dark.

Did a bit of a walk about yesterday to pick the spot I will be sitting. (I didn't put the tree stand up--yet--and will sit on the ground on a stool as I did last year. My spot has a good view of the hillside as well as the driveway and logging skidway they created this summer. That path, the skidway, follows the path of the buck I had a shot at last year. Hopefully a buck or doe will use this easy trail tomorrow.

On my walk I did see a couple of fresh rubs. Two of them were directly beneath the white pine I used for my tree stand during last year's bow season. My knee (plus the porch rebuild and attempts for an Adirondack deer) prevented me from doing any bow hunting this year.

I'm still trying to decide if I shout take the .270 or the slug gun for an outing tomorrow. The slug gun will be chambered with Lightfield slugs. One-and-a-half ounces of lead that shoots relatively flat for 100-125 yards. It laughs at tiny twigs. And with the scope, I'm more than willing to give it a go. None of my shots should be more than 100 yards. The .270 failed me last year when the bullet clipped a beech branch but it is capable of reaching out a bit further.

3 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

Sounds like the slug gun would be the weapon of choice.

JDP said...

Good Luck deer hunting Joated!

JDP

threecollie said...

I truly hope you get one.