Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Aerie Birds: Pileated Woodpecker

I mentioned the Bluebird and Pileated Woodpecker in the last post as infrequent visitors to the Aerie. Well, today the Bluebird was back on the electric wires at noon. I attempted to get a photo but the auto focus kept zoning in on the trees 15 feet behind the bird and all I got was a little ball of blue fuzziness.

Earlier, as I went out to fill the feeders on the deck, I spooked a Pileated Woodpecker for the trees on the other side of the driveway/parking area. It didn't go far and I quickly retreated hoping it would return. It finally did several hours later. At that time it went to the fruiting bodies at the very tippy-top of the one sumac on the edge of the driveway. It was a long shot at a sharp angle out of the window. And, in my haste, I forgot to zoom in!

Pileated Woodpecker

I tried a second shot through the front door but as soon as I cracked the door open, it flew away. For a bird that perched in the same tree last year while I ran the snow thrower directly beneath, it sure is spooky this year.

1 comment:

JDP said...

I see woodpeckers every once in a while, most of the ones I see are not that big.

JDP