Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Is it spring yet?

Ole Punxsutawney Phil said six more weeks two weeks ago and it sure looks like we're going to be held to that forecast. At least the pitchers and catchers will be showing up for spring training down in Florida and Arizona this week. Although, from the sounds of the weather down south, they will have to work extra hard to break a sweat. Here's hoping that when they break camp to head north and start the official season around the first of April, they don't have to bring snow shovels with them to clear the base paths.

I know, I know--I grumble a lot about the snow. Lately it's like getting pecked to death by ducks--an inch today, an inch tomorrow. Always followed by just a long enough period of warmth (relatively speaking), rain, and/or sunshine to bring things down (almost) to bare earth. Weird as it seems, I'd much rather have a foot of snow today and then four or five days of sunshine than five days of one inch snow falls.

It's snowing again today. Not much is expected, just an inch or two. Still it's falling sufficiently hard so as to block off visibility hear at the Aerie and engulf us in our own little world with white walls a few hundred feet away.

I guess I shouldn't really complain, however. I mean what should I expect from living so near to the NY/PA line, just west of the spine of the Appalachian Mountain Range, and down wind of the Great Lakes to boot.

Could be worse. Terry's cousin, Jim sent these photos from last week. They live in Columbia, SOUTH Carolina. Six to seven inches in their neck of the woods while we got bupkiss. (Of course, Mom got 15-18 inches in Linden, NJ.)





1 comment:

Rev. Paul said...

While Phil need not work too hard to forecast winter on Feb. 2nd, I'm taking it rather hard that he diverted all the snow to the south (of us) & left us with warm air & melting.

I know what you mean about the little-bit-at-a-time snows ... that stuff will drive a man nuts.