Tuesday, June 21, 2011

No Woods, Just the Lawn Today

Happy Summer!

We had 1.35 inches of rain from yesterday at 4 PM until sometime just before 6 AM this morning. Needless to say everything outside was drenched this morning. And, with temperatures forecast for the low 80s and the humidity between 75 and 80%--although it did drop all the way to 65% as the temps went up, I opted to give the ATV and chainsaw a rest. (My knees and back thanked me as well.)

Instead, I spent a (small) part of the day just lounging around and checking the internet. Not a hell of a lot there to keep me glued to the lap top.

Weatherman said we might get more T-storms late this afternoon and through the night so when the sky cleared a bit, I went out this afternoon to cut the grass. I could tell it needed cutting because the plantain seed heads and clover flowers were abundant. The former stuck some five or six inches into the air and the latter dotted the lawn with their creamy white goodness. My knees protested but they were overruled by the long range forecast. (In a word: "wet") didn't take me long to get the lawn done but once more, I was soaked to the skin--or maybe that should be "from the skin" as it came out of me and not the sky.

Deer flies were a bit of a problem but the successful biters must have had snorkling gear or been able to hold their breath for a really long time. Luckily, the allergy shots I once got (Worth. Every. Penny!) mean that I'm not as sensitive to their bite as I was as a kid. Now it just hurts when they bite and as the blood seeps out of the wound. Moments later there is no swelling or itching.

******

Tomorrow I'll be participating in the eel release along Pine Creek in the western part of the county. Those thousands and thousands of eels caught off the Maryland shore and fostered by the Asaph USGS Fish Labs will be set free to forage on their own. It will be interesting to see where they are turned loose. Four sites are to receive a portion of Pine Creek's allotment. More will go down to Buffalo Creek south of Lewisburg near Bucknell University.

Terry has a group of her lady friends coming over around 10 for a sit-and-stitch. They will be here fore several hours so even if the eel thing doesn't take that long (we meet at the labs at 8:45 AM--I will find something to do away from the house until at least 2 PM. That's why I've got a backpack with fishing ear and my camera sitting by the door. Plus, there's a set of binoculars and my bird books in the truck. I'm good to go!

Now all we need is some cooperation from the Big Guy upstairs. Little or no rain would be nice. Widely scattered showers are okay--as long as they're over yonder from wherever we will be. Since we'll be moving around, it doesn't mean You can't hit a spot earlier or come back later to hit a spot we will/have visited. Okay?


2 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

Let me know how that whole "scattered showers" thing works out. :)

joated said...

Sure thing, Rev.

If it doesn't work out, I'll just assume He's busy listening to folks on the Missouri and it's tributaries.