Wednesday, June 15, 2011

WARNING: Weather Rant Ahead

Was it just a few short weeks ago we were complaining about temperatures in the high 80s and low 90s? After the sun never made an appearance on a chilly, raw Tuesday, the sky cleared overnight. The light breeze continued to blow out of the north bringing some cool air to these here parts. The result? This morning it was 47 degrees at 7 AM. FORTY SEVEN DEGREES! On June 15th, one week from the longest day of the year. Sheesh! Talk about your yo-yo temperatures.

Must be very dull to live in places like San Diego or Hawaii where you get the same damn weather every single freakin' day. Dull. Dull. Dull. Around here, you can't be sure what it's going to be like in the next four or five hours. Forget tomorrow or next week.

******

I woke up to the sound of a doe deer snorting out in the yard at 7 AM. (Okay, I woke up the SECOND time. Chester and Shadow woke me up at 6 AM the first time but I ignored them and let Terry go feed them.) No idea what got her upset unless she caught sight of Terry moving around in the house.

On the deck looking around at 7:30 AM I heard and saw a pileated woodpecker flying over. Robins were setting in the trees and giving alarm calls. The wrens were chattering away. And an ovenbird kept screaming "Teacher! Teacher! Teacher!" like an impatient know-it-all student.

Down the hill, two rifle shots rang out and--I assume--another ground hog met its fate. Which reminds me the one I saw around here in the early spring has...well...disappeared. That is good!

A few cars and pick-up trucks went up the hill heading for construction and/or energy jobs on the wind farm or gas wells.

I guess I'll have to get out and do some firewood or stone work today. Just to get warm. (Kidding. The forecasters say we should get up to 80 degrees since the SUN is out. We shall see.)

Maybe after another cup of coffee.

1 comment:

Rev. Paul said...

It was 47 here this a.m., but that's normal for us. Rained all night, too, a good thing as we've been really dry. I hope your weather settles down into a more-normal routine.