Friday, September 09, 2016

Canadian Maritimes: Nova Scotia (the southern part) (Part 3)

Time to head south again along the west coast of Nova Scotia (the part along the Bay of Fundy). This time we went down to the port of Digby--a place known for its scallops. And as a haven fro the British Loyalists escaping the colonies after all that nastiness of 1776-1781.

Plaque at Loyalist Park
Fishing boats in the harbor

 A short distance out of Digby it the Prim Lighthouse. A beautiful spot to sit and watch the bay, see the fishing boats and ferries enter and leave the Digby harbor or to enjoy the wildflowers.

Prim Point Lighthouse

Entrance to Digby Harbor
Some of the shelving rocks the lighthouse was built to warn about.

Wind-blown trees along the coast.

Not far up the coast from Digby is Fort Anne, Canada's first national historic site. It was a French fort built quite a bit before The Citadel. Not a lot of stone used here. It's basically an earthen works fort.


The headquarters was undergoing some renovation.

Storage building made of stone and mortar. It's sunk into the ground to protect it from cannon balls. Looks like they might roll right over it.

Again with the steep sides. Any attacker would be out of breath when/if he reached the top.
Cannon placed on the walls could fire out to the river or sown along the ste\ep slopes of the embankment.

  After Fort Anne we again made our way back to our campground.

No comments: