Sunday, May 24, 2009

Aerie Chores: Gardening

Two weeks away and the lawn looks like a jungle. We hired a friend to in to feed the cats and clean up their litter box, but the lawn and seeds I planted outside were left to themselves. Over the course of the two weeks it looks like we had over two inches of rain according to the gauge. (I'll know more precisely later when I empty it.)

The rain, combined with some cool nights, produced good growth in the onions, lettuce, and spinach. The beans have sprouted and most seem to have survived but they're a bit spindly.

As for the broccoli; there are just two plants in the three rows of seeds I planted. Same for the zucchini and cucumbers. Four hills of each and there's nary a sprout showing more than the seed leaves. (Of course, the cold nights might have something to do with that. Zukes and Cukes are definitely warm weather plants. I guess I'll have to go to Agway and get some of their started plants.)

As for today, I'll be cutting grass right after dinner.

UPDATE: Grass is cut and trimmed. I had to run to Wally World to get some oil for the 4-cycle gas trimmer. I didn't have any in stock. Once the oil was topped off and the gas tank filled, the trimmer started up on the fourth pull. Terry pulled some weeds from the flower and herb beds as well as clipped the grass around the Rose bush. The rose looked dead 4 weeks ago but shot out some stems soon after the temperature warmed up. One is over two feet long and is sporting a bud. That probably means we're due for a visit from the local deer.

It's been raining hard just to our south along the I-80 corridor and to our east along I-81 but here we've only had overcast skies. Tomorrow is supposed to be better but the rain, in the form of scattered T-storms (40-50% chance) will return on Tuesday and linger through Thursday.

No comments: