Saturday, February 20, 2010

@#$ CATS!

We're in a quandary here at the Aerie. On one hand we are really enjoying the lengthening daylight hours that allow us to actually eat dinner while it's still light out, but, on the other hand there's that earlier sunrise crap.

You see, the cats can not tell time by looking at a clock. As a result, they depend upon the increasing morning light to tell them when WE should be getting up--much like a rooster. And, much like a rooster, they are quite verbal about our--to them--slug-a-bed ways. Add the fact that our bodies have decided that six to seven hours of sleep is sufficient--even when our minds and hearts are enjoying the warmth and comfort of the bed--and you have a problem.

Having been awakened bright(?) and early on Friday morning by Chester serenading outside our door at 6:15 AM, I was primed for an early night and went to sleep at 9 PM. Seven hours later by circadian rhythm went off and I was awake at 4 AM Saturday morning. I tried and I tried to fall back asleep only to have Shadow (Chester's evil sister) realize someone was awake and twitching on the other side of the door AND THEY WERE NOT GETTING UP TO FEED THE CATS!!!

Well, Shadow can be extremely vocal and quite loud when she wants to be and no amount of shouting "Shut up!!" will discourage her. In fact, quite the opposite. Having elicited a reaction from the wanna-be-sleepers, she cranks up the volume.

Soooo, after half an hour of caterwauling, I decided I had better get out of bed and go feed the damn cats. (Yeah, they have me trained well!) I thought I would do this and allow Terry to sleep longer since she had come to bed at 9 PM and was reading when I entered the land of nod. (Yeah, she, too, has got me trained!)

I thought my coming downstairs and feeding them would get them to be quiet and allow Terry to sleep. It worked--for about 45 minutes.

See, Shadow can count. If I come downstairs alone, she knows there's still someone in bed. Someone who is likely to provide more food than the scrunge that put down a measly teaspoonful for each of the three cats. No sooner has she licked her bowl clean (and probably Chester's too) than she goes back upstairs and starts howling at the bedroom door.

I went up and got her; hauling her downstairs again while administering her favorite Ferengi ear lobe rub. She purred like crazy while I massaged her lobes and scratched her chin. As soon as I sat down, however, she was off like a shot. Back upstairs to howl once more. I fetched the little demon and repeated the loving while hoping Terry could still be asleep.

I tried to keep Shadow downstairs, honest. But as soon as she could she escaped my clutches and was right back at the bedroom door.

Terry gave up and emerged from the bedroom at 5:15 AM. It was still dark out. We both should have still been asleep.

Thing is, Shadow is the most stand-offish of the three. She’s the loner of the three. Not really much of a people pussycat, if you get my drift. She wants to be stroked and scratched on her terms and her terms only! She will not sit in your lap. (You've got to beat the other two off with a bat.) But when she wants her ears scratched she will reach out and literally touch you--no, make that grab you. You could be sitting at the dinner table when she'll decide she wants scratching NOW! Or simply walk past her as she sits on the step stool in the kitchen and there will be an extended paw--with claws out--to gently tap, tap, tap on your thigh. (If the gentle tap doesn't work, you can expect something that will draw blood!) Still, if there’s a cat that’s going to leave you alone much of the day, it’s Shadow.

Tonight I will force myself to stay up until at least 10 PM. And if Shadow makes a noise before 7 AM...well, I've got a couple of shotguns. (Just kidding!)


No comments: