Thursday, April 15, 2010

Aerie Report, April 15, 2010

Another beee-you-ti-ful day here at the Aerie weather wise. As I mentioned earlier it never got as cold as the forecasters predicted it would over night but it sure did warm up nicely this afternoon when the temp got to 73 degrees under a mostly clear sunny sky. Some clouds did move in late but they don't look too threatening. Hopefully there will be some rain tomorrow late into Saturday. We need it badly.

******

Terry went to the pool again this morning after her Curves workout. She's getting private swim lessons and over half an hour in the pool by herself. Just her, the Mansfield swim coach and a life guard. She says they are focusing on the way she kicks using a boogie board, the butterfly stroke and the sidestroke. Because of the way the pool was roped off, she spent her time in the shallow end swimming from side to side. something like 10 mini-laps. She was tired when she got home but happy as a dolphin in the great blue sea that she's finally improving her swimming ability.

******

Me? I spent 3 1/2 hours up on the hill today with the chainsaw cutting up two of the tree tops left from last year's logging. One was an oak and the thicker portions will make a little more than half a cord of real fine firewood. The other was a cherry and it too will give me close to half a cord. And those are just two of more than half a dozen tree tops awaiting my sweat equity. I might have worked longer but both the chainsaw and I ran out of gas--literally.

I'm not just cutting firewood. I'm cleaning up the forest. By cutting the tree tops I'm opening up the view for deer and turkey seasons, exposing the ground for possible planting of grasses or other food plot fodder for the wildlife, and making it possible to drive the ATV into spots it has never been before. Call it Phase 1 Forest Rehab.

I may have to take tomorrow off from that particular project, however. Yesterday's work left me with a sore back (left waist area where it's been bad before) as well as a smooshed finger. It hurt throughout the night and woke me at 4 AM. When going back to sleep became impossible, I got up and fed the kittehs. Acetaminophen helps but even that wears off in five or six hours. And after today's workout, it still hurts. Maybe a day or two off is in order so I'll be able to stand upright again.

Besides, Terry wants to hang some more pictures and I promised.... Well, actually, I promised months ago, so it's long overdue.

******

Baseball. Bah! Humbug! The Mets have played 9 games and they are 3-6. Today they won 5-0 after losing last night 6-5 in 10 innings and losing the night before 11-3. This is not the beginning they were hoping for. It's not time to panic--yet--but they should be checking the life rafts.

On the bright side, The bull pen is actually doing pretty well despite the 10th inning loss and David Wright hit his third home run of the season last night. That's on a pace to hit 54--which I readily admit is unlikely. But 30-40 would be nice. He hit just 10 all last year. Doesn't mean squat if the team doesn't start winning, however.


2 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

Another busy day ... I could use some of your physical activity; my desk job isn't helping me lose any weight.

Our high temp had the same digits as yours (reversed, though).

The Cards are 6-3, amazingly enough. I almost hate to see that. They usually reverse the opening trend after the All-Star break, but maybe I'm worrying too soon.

joated said...

re your desk job: Perhaps you need a couple pairs of these:
new male wonder pants