Saturday, April 03, 2010

A day birding is never wasted.

It was too nice a day to stay indoors and the appearance of a pair of Brown-headed Cowbirds in the company of a male Red-winged Blackbird on the deck feeder this morning made me antsy, so I went and made the rounds of birding spots on Route 287. None of the spots produced the huge numbers of new (at least for this year) species I was hoping for. Obviously the birds clock is more connected to daylight than temperature for it got up to the mid 70s this afternoon.

My first stop was at the lookout over the Tioga-Hammond Lakes connector where I hoped to find some Bald Eagles soaring overhead. No such luck but there were lots of Turkey Vultures and Tree Swallows taking advantage of the updrafts. Plus I got to see my first Northern Flicker and Eastern Phoebe of the year.
Turkey Vulture
Northern Flicker
Eastern Phoebe
American Crow
Tree Swallow
Tufted Titmouse
Eastern Bluebird
American Robin
Song Sparrow
Red-winged Blackbird
Common Grackle


Tree Swallow rests on the fence at the Tioga-Hammond Lake overlook.

From the overlook, I drove to the other end of Hammond Lake to Ive's Run and took the Rail Road Grade Trail that parallels Crooked Creek west. On the way to Ive's Run an Osprey flew over the road carrying a 7-8" fish in its talons. It would be the first of seven Ospreys I would spot. The others were all paired up on the nesting platforms probably discussing how to arrange the furniture.

I birded the length of the Rail Road Grade Trail from my truck and it was pretty slow. Neither numbers of species nor of individuals were very high.
Wild Turkey
Osprey
Mourning Dove
Blue Jay
American Crow
Black-capped Chickadee
American Robin
Song Sparrow
Northern Cardinal
Red-winged Blackbird
Common Grackle

Pair of Ospreys on nest pole near the Ive's Run Offices

After completing the slow drive along Crooked Creek, I went back to Ive's Run and the Day Use Area across from the camp store (closed). Still pretty slow and only the half dozen Double-crested Cormorants perched on some exposed logs w-a-y o-u-t there made the short trip worthwhile. Not an Eagle to be seen. I did talk to a couple of fishermen who were working the shoreline from their boat, however. They were having slow day, too.
Canada Goose
Double-crested Cormorant
Osprey
Ring-billed Gull
American Crow
Black-capped Chickadee
American Robin
Song Sparrow

I then went down to The Muck to see if there were any waterfowl on the open water. Except for the one pair of Blue-winged Teal and a number of Canada Geese, that would be a "No." As in no Wood Duck--yet, no herons visible, no Kingfisher--yet. Like I said a very slow day.
Canada Goose
Green-winged Teal
American Crow
Tree Swallow
American Robin
Song Sparrow
Red-winged Blackbird

Canada Goose stand atop a nest in the reeds.

Canada Goose swimming at The Muck.

1 comment:

threecollie said...

wow, lots of great birds! I was thrilled to find a pair of kestrels back at our heifer barn this morning. They used to nest in the eaves, but have been absent since the first year West Nile hit the area.