Monday, April 19, 2010

Aerie Report, April 19, 2010

Beautiful day here at the Aerie. The sun is shining brightly and there's a fresh breeze blowing out of the north. The overnight temperature was in the low 30s (enough to put some frost on the truck windshield this morning) and has not risen above 60 degrees which is fine by me.

******

Terry went up to Horseheads today for one of her EGA meetings. A handful of ladies got together to do some stitching and gossip about folks who didn't show. The usual.

******

I went to bed last night with reduced but still significant pain in my lower left back but, as I expected, woke up this morning with no pain at all. It just takes some serious R & R to get the nerves to stop their silly swelling and the pain disappears like that.

So, of course, I spent four hours on the hill with Mr. Chainsaw cutting tree tops into smaller brush piles and logs into firewood lengths. Four hours seems to be the limit for the chainsaw. It's a homeowner's Craftsman model (42cc bar with an 18") and it's not made to work all day. Fine by me! But I sure wish it had a better way for communicating when it feels it's time to quit. Trying to get it started with that pull cord when it doesn't want to run any more could through a guy's shoulder out.

******

When I got back to the Aerie, I spotted a Turkey Vulture floating in the breeze BELOW the cabin. I thought I could smell something in the way of rotting meat myself and wonder if it was trying to zero in on the location. I did see one on the road when I went for the mail around 8:30 AM and it was feeding on a dead rabbit. That one lifted up and made one circle before landing again as I went passed.

******

Later, there was a small helicopter moving back and forth down in the valley. Looks like they are ferrying small bags of equipment from Point A to Point B for the gas crews.

******

Got a phone call from Alpin Haus this morning saying the part for the trailer's AC was in and they will be repairing it today or tomorrow. The part cost $20 but labor will run around $60.

UPDATE: Trailer is ready for pick-up. I guess my next two days are planned. One day up to pick up the trailer and take it to the Bolt Hole; then an overnight and early departure on Wednesday to get back to the Aerie.

1 comment:

Rev. Paul said...

Glad to hear your trailer is ready to roll - I'm looking forward to meeting some old friends for the first time.

Anchorage temps remain seasonal. I don't know if you'll regard that as good or bad. (grin)