Monday, February 14, 2011

Propane---delivered

When we got back from our lunch, we found we had not yet had a delivery of propane--as promised. Terry made a phone call while I spread more salt on the still icy portions of the driveway.

Terry talked to the people at the propane company and heard that they were not going to be here today. Then she went through the list of promises and phone calls we had been making. When she mentioned that I had been promised delivery today when I went to the office on Saturday and that we were now down to 10% on the tank's gauge, Terry was told that as soon as they got in touch with a driver, we would have a delivery.

And we did.

Our 500 gallon tank took 366 gallons. Doesn't sound like 10% but when the propane gets that low, you've got 1) very low pressure in the tank because 2) there's a lot of empty space.

The driver was kind enough to bring the bill to the door. He was an experienced driver who had made deliveries to our house before. He's of the old school who prefers the regularly scheduled monthly deliveries like they used to do over those made based upon degree days and previous usage. No one ever ran out of propane using regularly scheduled deliveries even if some of them may not have been large deliveries. The current method, he said, does not take into account secondary sources of heat, such as wood stoves, which are at best intermittent. Those secondary heating systems may cut propane usage for a couple of months pr a season, only to see the propane usage go way up when the homeowner stops or can't use it.

Even so, I told him, their current program is not working. My last delivery was back on November 30th. Their program should have gotten me a delivery quite some time ago. I should not have had to start calling two-and-a-half weeks ago. And when I did start calling, I should have gotten service sooner.





I've made my feelings known

No comments: