Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Weather follow up

Still waiting for today's round of T-storms to start. But we do have a tornado watch (possibility) in effect until 10 PM and a tornado warning (stronger possibility in the immediate future) issued for the northwest corner of the county. Luckily. we're on the eastern edge of Tioga County. Looking to the northwest from here, things do look...well..interesting.

Almost forgot, the area still has a flash flood watch in effect until tomorrow.

Got up to 82 degrees this afternoon in what would otherwise be considered a lovely day.(Except for those nasty T-storms and tornadoes j-u-s-t over there.)

I grabbed a shovel and went out to play in the dirt, rock and flowing water. Hey, it's a guy thing. First I did some altering of water flow along the sides of the road. Some pretty bad erosion in spots where larger stones or a small delta of stones forced the water toward the middle of the road. Then I went and did some work on the upper driveway. Good thing I only need to take the ATV and/or tractor up there, I'm not sure the Tundra would handle the new gullies. After that, I dug a small, shallow channel along the edge of the lawn to allow the water still seeping out of the hillside to drain off instead of pooling up right behind the house.

Sweaty work in the high humidity and climbing temperatures. And that humidity and warmth as sparked the appearance of the Black Fly--and I've a few bites to prove it. On a positive side, should the temperatures remain in the 80 degree range, the Black Flies should rush through their life cycles and become less troublesome.

2 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

Heat & high humidity *shudders* ... don't miss those things at all. All that rain, the t-storms, tornadoes ... come to think of it, I don't miss those, either.

After 45 years living in Tornado Alley, I do understand.

JihadGene said...

My weather is better looong time! No black fly either. Have a great weekend without tornadoes, I hope.