Saturday, June 18, 2011

Another Day Sawing Logs.

Did I miss anything?

I spent another six hours in the woods today cutting up some maple and oak tops from the logging two years ago. The difficulty is that these tree tops all have lots of undersized branches that I've got to get out of the way. I spend half the time just trimming the small stuff and stacking it out of the way so I can get to the branches that are 4" in diameter or more. Then, once I've gotten to the larger stuff, I have to stack the cut pieces for later pickup.

Today's weather was a little warmer than yesterday but still pretty nice for working in the shaded woods. No rain showers in the area and just the slightest of breezes. Don't know if it was the lack of breeze or the slightly higher temperatures, but the mosquitoes were out today. I don't think any of them got up the nerve to bite me--probably took one whiff and said, "I'll pass!"--but I could hear them buzzing around my head even when I was wearing ear plugs. (That's a safety device I forgot to wear yesterday--ear plugs. Ears were buzzing, even without mosquitoes, all night long.)

Chainsaws didn't behave well today at all. The Homelite doesn't have a working oil pump for the chainbar oil and today it started to really over heat the bar. I finally figured out that I had to use my little oil can every 15 minutes and give the saw a chance to cool down for at least 5 minutes before returning it to service. As for the Sears Craftsman saw.... It ran for 30 minutes and then quit. Could not get it to restart.

I had both saws in the shop last month. That's when the repairman told me I had no working pump on the Homelite and he couldn't locate a source for one.

Maybe it's time to go get that Husqvarna Rancher. Three sources here in the area and every one of them had it for $399.

Well, I'm pooped after two days of saw work and tossing logs sections about. (Must be the Scots-Irish from my Mom. Every once in a while I get the urge to go out and toss telephone poles around. I do this despite the bad back. Stubborn.... That's the Scots, too, plus the Dutch from my Dad.) I think I'll just have another Yuengling and follow the Mets on the internet. Might even be able to stay awake until the ninth inning. Maybe.

1 comment:

Shelley said...

Be careful with that chainsaw! :)
You're working very hard - makes me think I need to get Greg to start doing more projects around our cabin.