Monday, June 20, 2011

We Had Another Visitor at the Aerie

We had a new visitor last evening. A BIG black bear. And I mean HUGE.

It came down the powerline right of way just at dark--around 8:50 or so. Julie and Shadow were sitting at the screen door watching the fireflies in the yard and suddenly went on point. I was sitting at the dining room table and turned to see what had their attention just as the bear stood up and scratched on the telephone pole--the one of three in the yard that actually has power lines on it.

The head was the size of a basketball and the ears were round and on the side of the head in the 10-2 positions. Unlike other bears that have come into the yard and had a white V between their front legs, this one was all black. His snout was dark and a bit pushed in instead of pointed and he was at least twice as wide as I am but just as tall. The scratches he left on the pole and plastic conduit that carries our power down underground and to the house, were just above where I can reach.

When I called for Terry to look out the window, the bear dropped to all fours and looked at me. He didn't run away or bolt for the woods. He just looked. Then he turned and walked back up the powerline. Did I mention that he looked HUGE! and very, very healthy. He had beautiful, glossy, jet balck coat of fur

I've never seen a black bear in the wild as large as this one. I'd estimate his weight to be some where between 450 and 500 pounds. A big ole boy for sure. And with all the blackberries ripening on the hillside, he's sure to get a good deal bigger in the coming months.

Maybe it's time to get a holster for my .44 mag Redhawk. Just in case.

3 comments:

threecollie said...

It may even be past time. Yowsa!

Tina Marie the Willow Witch said...

Holy smokes, where was your camera?
What a sight to see...

Rev. Paul said...

The last 400-pound blackie in my neighborhood (I saw it on a Monday morning) was killed the next day as it trashed the ground floor of a two-story house about a mile away. The homeowner was sleeping upstairs, heard the commotion, and met the bear - which was heading up the steps - with a shotgun.

It took 5 Wildlife officers to carry it out of the house.

Get that holster.