Friday, December 19, 2008

"Oh the weather outside is frightful..."

Woke up this morning at 7 AM and there was absolutely nothing going on outside. As I ate by Cheerios (Honey Nut) at the table, I spied a flock of turkeys rushing to the bird feeders. Unfortunately they saw Terry come to the window when I alerted her to their approach and ran into the woods just as quickly. Later four old Toms came to the feeders from a different direction.

At 7:45 AM you could see the snow moving toward the Aerie from across the valley and by 8 AM flakes had started to fall. I donned my boots and coat and rushed down to the post office to get send out some mail and pick up ours and got back by 8:45.

It's now 10:45 and there's 2-3 inches of fresh powder on the deck. Let's take a look at the forecast...Sh*t! They've extended the warning to 11 PM tonight and increased the expected accumulations to 8-11 inches (up one from yesterday). AccuWeather's maps are a wee bit different but in the same ball park.

And they're showing another storm coming on Sunday/Sunday night following damn near the same path although there's some chance it might, just might slip a tiny bit further north and only add 3-6 inches to what's on the ground.

And then there's the one forecast for the 24th....

Well, I did say I liked the changing seasons and would never consider retiring to someplace like Florida. Anyway, snow beats the crap out of having to sit through hurricanes, 100 degree summer days with 110% relative humidity, and fire ants and such.

1 comment:

Brian Cole said...

So I thought the weather in Chicago was bad, but it looks like you're getting hit much harder my Mother Nature's cold shoulder.
I receieved holiday well wishes and am happy to report that the NRA makes one damn fine looking card. I hope all is well and snuggly in the Aerie. Say hello to the cats for Vicky and to the shrew-stew for me.