Wednesday, January 28, 2009

On PA winter weather

This arrived via email and I find it remarkably accurate:


It's winter in Pennsylvania
And the gentle breezes blow

Seventy miles an hour

At twenty-five below.


Oh, how I love Pennsylvania

When the snow's up to your butt

You take a breath of winter

And your nose gets frozen shut.


Yes, the weather here is wonderful

So I guess I'll hang around

I could never leave the lovely State of Pennsylvania

I'm frozen to the friggin' ground!



Yeah, we got some snow and some ice and a little bit of everything but nowhere near what the folks at AccuHunch were initially forecasting. Perhaps there will be more snow this afternoon and evening but it seems to have stopped for now with only about 3-4 inches of accumulation. (Last night the forecast was 6-10 inches.) There seems to have been a little turn over to freezing rain or sleet during the night as I find a layer of packed snow when I shovel the deck to feed the birds.

I'm not sure yet if there's enough to use the snow thrower or if clearing the drive will be shovel work. There's a considerable drift of snow in front of the garage doors where it has blown off the roof, but whether there is enough to use the thrower on the rest of the driveway...TBD.

The maps indicate that we are in a calm area sandwiched between ice, snow and rain. Heavy bands of all three are situated to our southwest and are heading this way. The ice band is the thinnest of the three and the rain lies a wee bit further south. The snow, however is still stretched out through the Ohio valley back to the Mississippi River. Any attempt to remove the current crap precipitation will wait until tomorrow.


3 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

Beautiful! I'll probably e-mail the Alaskan version to my friends, but wouldn't dream of posting the modified version on my blog.

Well, okay, I'd dream about it ... but I won't do it.

Thanks!

Cassie said...

I'm calling my 85yr old Mom in Sullican County,PA as soon as I'm done writing this. I want to read her the poem.She'll laugh I'm sure.

gregor said...

Beats New Jersey winters, as you well know... snow, then rain, then wind, then sleet, then snow, etc... repeat until madness sets in.