Thursday, January 22, 2009

Woodworking 101 Day 9

I lied.

The workbench will not be finished today as I had hoped. The mounting of the large face vise is proving slightly more difficult than anticipated. I've had to glue up not only the face plate, but a second plate to be attached to the bench. When the glue cures (24 hours is best but I may rush things and go back to work after 6 PM tonight) I'll be able to drill out the holes for the vise screw and guide rods.


Glued up block which will be mounted on the vise face plate.


Second glued up block which will be mounted on the underside of the bench.

Countersinking two support collets may be a challenge. They call for a hole 2-5/16 in diameter sung 5/16 of an inch in the plate to be attached to the bench. The largest Fostner bit I've got is only 1 inch in diameter and the largest hole saw is 2-1/4 inch.

Even then, mounting the plate on the underside of the bench is going to block one of the dog holes. Piss poor planning on my part.


The underside of the bench showing where the vise plate will be mounted. In the background is the screw and guide rod assembly. One of the glued up blocks will be in front of the plate and that will have the countersunk support collets.

Everything else is done. one vise is in. All the rails are screwed on. The front and back got glued on while the side rails just get screws so as to allow the planks to expand and contract with moisture.


One vise is successfully installed.

It's getting close....

As with any project that you do for the first time there have been some learning moments. I certainly know how to go about building the next one. Of course, I may never need to build the next one, but some of the steps used here can and will be used on other projects.

If I can remember the lessons.

No comments: