Saturday, January 10, 2009

Woodworking 101 Day 4

I got the planks glued up for the top of the workbench. I made use of my biscuit joiner to provide additional stability to the long joints. This is the first time I used this tool but, after seeing it in use by others, I can tell it will not be the last. I'm still learning the proper use of this power tool and there will be mistakes. For example: when I put the pieces together (with Terry's help in handling the 9" x 70" inch planks) I noticed one of the planks was an 1/8 of an inch offset from its neighbor. They were exactly the same thickness and aligned perfectly when I had them laying side by side. Therefore, the only difference must have been the placement of the biscuit slots. I had made no adjustments to the tool so that should not have happened. I went back to the tool and found there was a tiny shift from where I had set it. Either the settings had come loose or I had not tightened them sufficiently. That will not happen a second time!


Planks for the bench top are glued up and cleated.

Anyway, the top is set out to dry and will be ready for the next step of putting an straight edge on both ends followed by a bit of a tenon. I've got more pieces to mill to act as the end band and also rear band. The front will get milled to accept clamp dogs and a slide for a wood clamp. (I still have to get the screw for that clamp. I haven't come across one in the catalogs I like.)

I've got an hour and a half before the football games start so I'd better get back into the shop.

Later, dudes

3 comments:

Joan of Argghh! said...

That looks like enough work to keep you out of trouble!

:o)

Richard said...

Boy, that's gonna be some workbench. It will be a shame to put any dents and dings in it once you are done.

JihadGene said...

You are a real craftsman. I can't build nothin but a dog house...my own, that is.