Saturday, January 24, 2009

Woodworking 101 Wrap-up

I've gotten some nice comments from regulars about the workbench and I just want to say thanks for the kind comments guys.

I guess as the one who put it all together I've got a particularly jaundiced eye and can see all the flaws. Isn't it always true that when a project is completed (and sometimes right in the middle of doing the thing) you always think of how it could have been done better? It's true for building a birdhouse or a barn.

As I've said, though, this was a relearning experience and, while the workbench is not as pretty as the one in the ShopNotes magazine from which I got the plans, it'll do for now.

There's a 32" x 70" work surface and that's a big problem right now, as I'm sure some of you may understand. That surface sits as a large, flat, horizontal planethat has nothing on it! Next to a vacuum, Nature abhors nothing more than an empty horizontal surface. It'll be a real challenge NOT to simply put things on top and defeat the purpose of having a workbench. Already the area beneath the bench is filled with power tools that have their own storage cases: an electric drill, a jig saw, a biscuit saw, a Dremel tool box, air powered brad nailer, etc.

With no football this weekend, I'll probably be back in the shop trying to rearrange things and clean up the current mess. All the while I'll be planning my attack on the walls and, perhaps the next work station that needs to be constructed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

again, awesome job! i take back the the crack about taking to long after seeing the plans. but, i bet ya in 60 days, you won't be able to find it:)