Monday, September 19, 2005

Busy Monday

Today was a busy day during which I accomplished very little.

Four-thirty this morning I drove Terry to Newark Airport so she could catch a 7 AM flight to Nashville. (It's the annual SAGA convention.) I was back home by 5:30 AM.

Sat around for a couple of hours checking my email and such before I cut the backyard at 9 AM. (Yes, Virginia, there is real grass growing in the backyard. Hallelujah! It still needs to be overseeded to htincken it up, however.) I was finished by 10 AM.

At 11 AM I had my bowhunting gear packed and I was dressed in my cammies. Out the door and on my way out to the farm off Route 31 in Warren County. (On my way on to I-287 I saw a doe standing on the roadside.)

I got to the farm around noon and walked the woods for two hours looking for signs of deer. I saw few. but it was tough to find any tracks since the ground was very dry and even the creek cutting through the woods was dry so there were no tracks in the mud. The woods have become choked with wild roses; an indication that there are few deer here anymore. Between the guys in the club and the farmer, we have really reduced the herds that used to roam the hillside and fields. (Too bad the deer in my backyard can't be delt with in the same way.)

At 2 o'clock I sought out a tree stand in which to sit and climbed in and waited. And waited. And waited. At 6:30 I got out of the stand having seen no deer. Walked out into the field to go back to the truck and saw...no deer. No deer in any fields.

At 7 PM, I drove back home. When I got off I-287 in Morristown, there were three deer feeding along the side of the road.

Then tonight I watched the Giants take the Saints apart.

A long day and only the grass got cut and Terry sent off.

No comments: