Monday, March 03, 2008

The Star Spangled Banner

Back on March 3, 1931, the United States Congress officially adopted The Star Spangled Banner as the National Anthem of the USA.


Mariah Carey sings the Star Spangled banner at the 2002 Super Bowl in New Orleans.


An acappella performance by Take 6

The song is not the prettiest national anthem nor the easiest to sing (although both Ms. Carey and Take 6 do a fine job), but it is ours. And deserves respect regardless of your political leanings.

Civilians: Take off your hat. Place your right hand over your heard. Stand at attention. Do your best to sing the song! And for crying out loud, DO NOT start to cheer until the song is over!

Uniformed police, fire fighters, military: Stand at attention. Salute.

3 comments:

Erica said...

Call me crazy....but it's one of my favorite songs, and it beats all the other national anthems as far as I'm concerned.

It gives me a shiver in my bones, pride in my heart, tears in my eyes...what more could you want out of a national anthem, except maybe be an American drinking song and not an English one.

Happy birthday Star-Spangled Banner!

joated said...

I get chills from hearing it too. The good kind, I might add. however, if we were to choose a new anthem, I'd pick "God Bless America" and permit only recordings of Kate Smith singing this great song any time it is to be played. (Except for instrumentals and when sung by the crowd in attendance.)

And I'm not even a Philly Flyers fan.

gregor said...

I love it. I always get all misty eyed when I hear a good rendition of it, and I don't mean a perfect one, but a heart-felt one. I really don't like it when other songs, like "God Bless America" or "America the Beautiful" are performed in it's place, although I like them both very much. They are patriotic songs. The Star Spangled Banner is our National Anthem. I can't sing it worth a lick, but it still stirs me.