Monday, April 28, 2008

Basement Progress

I'm getting somewhere in the ceiling project, but things are moving more slowly than I anticipated. I forgot that working over your head can be really, really tiring on your arms and neck. I would mark off the location of the furring strips on the east side of the basement and then have to take a break. Then I would install five or six furring strips, screwing them to the floor joists, and have to take a break.

As I started to lay out the furring strip rows I discovered that one of the rows of furring strips will be passing almost directly over the existing light fixtures. This is not good. Those fixtures need to be moved to the center of a ceiling tile which means between the rows of furring strips. Guess I'll be running out to get some wire and three cans for recessed lights. I'll also need to hone up on the installation fo the ceiling fan. I'll need to have something solid for it to hang from and that means moving the fixture box and adding some bracing.

I did get all the boards for the boxing in of the fireplace ceiling and the stairwell cut and installed, however, and that counts for something.

1 comment:

Teresa said...

That's quite a project. If you're only having "minor" difficulties and slight delays that's excellent! Can't wait to see the finished product. *grin*